Sat, Apr 20|
"Tweet Retreat" - An Introduction to Improv Piecing
Learn to use up those scraps and let your creativity take flight!
Time & Location
Apr 20, 2024, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Caledonia, 9175 Cherry Valley Ave SE Ste 10, Caledonia, MI 49316, USA
About the event
Join us for a feathered fiesta as we spread our wings in the "Cheep Retreat - An Introduction to Improv Piecing" class! This class is tailored for both fledgling quilters and seasoned pros eager to soar beyond traditional patterns and explore the art of improvisational piecing.
In this hands-on workshop, you'll be chirping with joy as you unravel the secrets of improv piecing—an egg-citing technique that encourages spontaneity, experimentation, and the joy of creating unique, one-of-a-kind quilt blocks. Our experienced instructor will be your wise old owl, guiding you through the process, offering tips and tricks to help you feather your nest with a quilt that's uniquely yours.
This class will cover both the construction of this particular quilt, as well as how to apply these techniques in further ways. We will explore how to make other types of figures and how to create your own unique designs. Also covered will be how to make this quilt with more traditional techniques for students who aren’t completely comfortable with improvising. A hand out with instructions on the steps to create a wall hanging version of “Tweet Retreat” and helpful tips will be provided.
- Improv Techniques: Spread your wings and let your creativity take flight with improv piecing.
- Color Play: Hatch vibrant ideas as you explore using color and fabric scraps to feather your quilted nest.
- Composition and Balance: Learn to soar to new heights by creating visually appealing compositions through balance and contrast.
- Individualized Feedback: Our wise owl instructor will give you personalized guidance to ensure your quilting skills take flight.
- Show and Tweet: Celebrate your creations in a supportive and collaborative class environment with a show-and-tweet session.
Whether you're a quilting early bird or a night owl to the craft, this class promises to owl-ways leave you with a stunning improv pieced quilt that reflects your artistic expression. Join us and let your creativity take wing on the fabric canvas!
- 1.5 - 2 yds of solid background fabric
- 16-20 assorted scraps/fat eights*
- 3 ''pole'' fabrics, they will need to be longer strips
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Sewing machine in good working order
- Thread, pins, and basic quilting supplies
- 1/4 yd of Heat-and-Bond Lite
*Notes on fabrics
When selecting your house and bird fabrics, think about what colors you would prefer, but also about scale. In the houses, larger scale fabrics can work, but the birds will need smaller scale prints. You will need a bit of yellow or orange for the beaks. I find that novelty prints don’t tend to work well in figural improvisational piecing. Using larger scraps or fat quarters/eighths when beginning to work in improv tends to be easier than working with small pieces.
This class welcomes fledgling quilters through wise owls (confident beginner and up). Come prepared to have a hoot, experiment, and leave with a quilt that is uniquely yours!
- Ticket type
Ticket to take flightPrice$50.00
+$1.25 service fee+$1.25 service fee